Plant clinics sponsored by Virginia Cooperative Extension are gearing up for the 2014 gardening season in Arlington and Alexandria. All are staffed by VCE Master Gardeners, who answer general gardening questions as well as questions about pests and diseases and plant identification. They also provide free soil test kits on request.
Days, times and locations of the VCE Master Gardener plant clinics are as follows:
- The Arlington Central Library Plant Clinic opens April 17 and will operate from 6:45 to 8:45 p.m. every Thursday to mid-November. It is located in the East Lobby of the library, 1015 N. Quincy Street. (Directions/Map)
- The Arlington Farmers’ Market Plant Clinic opens April 19 and will operate every Saturday morning from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. through September. The Farmers’ Market is located at N. 14th St. and N. Courthouse Rd. (Directions/Map)
- The new Alexandria Lee Center Plant Clinic opens on Thursday, April 24, at Lee Center, 1108 Jefferson St., Alexandria, and will operate from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Thursday through October 30.
- The Del Ray Farmers Market Plant Clinic at East Oxford and Mt. Vernon Avenues in Alexandria opens Saturday, May 3, and will operate from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. every Saturday morning through September. (Directions/Map)
- The Old Town Alexandria Farmers Market Plant Clinic at 301 King Street also opens on Saturday, May 3, and will operate from 7 to 9:30 a.m. every Saturday through September. (Directions/Map)
VCE Master Gardeners also staff the Horticulture Help Desk, which operates from 9 a.m. to noon weekdays year round at the VCE office in Fairlington Community Center, 3308 S. Stafford Street, Arlington. The Help Desk can be reached by phone at 703-228-6414 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.