The 2018 Arlington/Alexandria Urban Agriculture Symposium is now OPEN for registration.
A day of fun, food, and learning on topics ranging from urban agriculture policy and innovation to vertical gardening, inside and roof top farming, soil health, agriculture business development, private and public community garden management, food waste recycling, season extension, edible landscaping, and building horticulture literacy.
Dr. Jewel Bronaugh, Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture
Urban Agriculture and Community Based Food System Development in Virginia: How is Virginia’s government leading the expansion of efforts to promote food systems that include increased access to healthy, local foods and urban agriculture development.
This year’s line up of 20 speakers and 10 vendor/sponsors promises to be the best ever! Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors we are able to keep our costs low and our location offers wonderful accessibility and space to put on this great event.
- Integration of Agriculture in Higher Education: Teaching Horticulture to Millennials
- Vertical Gardening Systems for Indoor and Outdoor Use.
- Food Revival: Think Before You Toss!
- Public and Private Community Development and Management Trends.
- From Farm to Green House to Cafeteria: Sustainability and Food Systems
- Edible Landscapes and Principles of Permacultures
- VSU Urban Agriculture Program Update
- Skyscraper Farm: Innovation at the Nexus of Food, Energy, and Water System
- Integrated Aquaponics: Grow Fish!
- Meeting the Demand: Business Development Challenges of Urban Agriculture
- Managing Soil Fertility on Urban Sites
- Encouraging Pollinators: Building Bee Friendly Landscapes
In addition, the day will also include an End of the Day Silent Raffle for attendees, a lunch organized by Extension Master Gardener volunteers, and a chance to see the orchard and super productive vegetable garden located on the grounds that produces nearly 3000 lbs of produce a year for the Arlington Food Assistance Center.
The 2018 symposium is sponsored by Virginia Cooperative Extension, Master Gardeners of Northern Virginia, Bushel, EcoAction Arlington, Greenstreet Gardens, Love & Carrots, Rooftop Roots, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, The Fertilizer Institute, We Recycle Trees, and Virginia State University.
For more information, call 703-228-6414