June 4 2023 at 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Shirlington Library Plaza
4200 Campbell Plaza
Arlington, Virginia 22206
The 20th annual Green Community Tour (formerly the Green Home and Garden Tour) will showcase green homes, green renovations, and watershed-friendly gardens in Arlington. Features include energy efficient technologies, solar energy, water-saving technologies, rain gardens, native plants, wildlife habitat and more. Great family-friendly fun! The celebration and tour are sponsored by Arlington County’s Office of Sustainability and Environmental Management, EcoAction Arlington, Virginia Cooperative Extension and Arlington Public Library.
This year’s tour highlights the following amazing gardens and homes:
- A fantastic Master Gardener who has a zero-lawn property, extensive native plant gardens, and is a true leader in promoting sustainability in Arlington,
- Nature playscape (made possible by large-scale and thoughtfully phased English Ivy removal on a slope) and edible landscaping,
- A Green Street rain garden with special tours by the County landscape architect,
- A place of worship with large-scale solar arrays and stormwater management,
- A lovely front yard rain garden capturing 80% of the home’s runoff,
- Native plant conservation landscaping that successfully addressed poor drainage and runoff,
- Geothermal heat pumps, rooftop solar, blow-in insulation, induction cooktops, sustainable flooring and countertops, R5 zip board sheathing systems, FSC certified cabinetry, EnergySmart appliances,
- Dry creek beds, rain barrels, composting, rain gardens, pollinator gardens, fruit and nut trees, beekeeping, and more!
- Only one afternoon a year – don’t miss out!
For more information and to sign up for the tour see: https://www.arlingtonva.us/Government/Programs/Sustainability-and-Environment/Events/Green-Community-Tour-Homes-Gardens-More.
Please note: the celebration at Shirlington Library is free; the Green Community Tour registration costs $5.