Turn yard clippings, kitchen waste and excess paper into black gold for your garden! Extension Master Gardeners will show you how to start composting at home, what to put into a compost pile, how to easily maintain the pile so that the materials break down properly, and how to apply the finished product to your own garden and lawn.
This free online class was offered by Extension Master Gardeners.
Speakers: Agriculture Natural Resource Extension Agent Kirsten Conrad, Virginia Cooperative Extension and Extension Master Gardener Nina DeRosa
Zoom session, April 24, 2020
Video of Presentation
- 0:00 Introduction
- 03:06 Improper Disposal of Yard Waste
- 05:04 Responsible Options
- 06:32 Hindrances to Composting
- 09:01 What is Composting?
- 09:28 Benefits of Composting
- 17:26 Ingredients
- 26:53 Questions
- 30:58 Indoor Composters
- 36:26 Outdoor Composting
- 52:15 Location & Maintenance
- 59:53 Use of Compost
- 1:04:06 Questions
- 1:08:20 What to Do with Garden Waste
- 1:11:06 Cost of Composters
- 1:13:20 Message from Arlington County Naturalist
- 1:15:52 Resources
- Relf, Diane and Alan McDaniel. Composting. Horticulture, Virginia Tech
- Rishell, Ed. Backyard Composting. Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Rishell, Ed. Making Compost From Yard Waste.
- Traunfeld, Jon and Ellen Nibali. Soil Amendments and Fertilizers. University of Maryland Cooperative Extension.