Identification and Control
The invasive Spotted Lanternfly is likely to become an unwanted resident in Arlington or Alexandria this year. This pest is making its way south from Pennsylvania, east from Winchester, Virginia, and west from Maryland. Join Kirsten Conrad, Extension Agent for Arlington and City of Alexandria, to learn how to recognize this insect, what to do if you see one, how to report it, and how to manage the damage that it may cause to your landscape and fruit crops.
Zoom session, recorded April 8, 2022
Reporting Spotted Lanternfly Sightings in Arlington And Alexandria
- Use this form to report sightings: https://vce.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5cDOH8Vei9fHWOG
- Or send queries to: email@example.com
- Submit physical samples to VCE at 3308 S. Stafford St. Arlington VA 22206
The Virginia Tech ID Lab requires a physical sample from agent. Virginia Tech will notify Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer ServicesVDACS and forward the sample to the USDA for official confirmation
- Ailanthus Control Methods: Removing Tree of Heaven. 2021. Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF).
- Climate. National Weather Service.
Click on Virginia on map to access past climate and GDD data.
- Online Phenology and Degree-day Models. Oregon IPM Center at Oregon State University.
Mobile-enabled interface to over 130 degree-day/phenology models and calculator.
- Quarantines in Virginia. on SLF, Red Imported Fire Ant, Spongy Moth, and Thousand Cankers Disease
- Spotted Lanternfly (Lycorma Delicatula). 2022. Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS).
Spotted lanternfly identification, management and treatment, and quarantine and permit information.
- Spotted Lanternfly in Virginia. 2022 Virginia Tech Cooperative Extension
Site contains resources on identification and look-alikes, life cycle calendar, control methods, and quarantine information.
- Spotted Lanternfly in Virginia. 2022. Virginia Tech Department of Entomology
2022 Citizen Scientist Detection Program for Spotted Lanternfly in Virginia – Training Videos.
- Spotted Lanternfly Treatment Program Information. Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS).
- Spotted Lanternfly. 2022.Forest Management and Health. Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF).
- Barringer, L., & Ciafré, C. 2020. Spotted Lanternfly Plant Usage in North America. Environmental Entomology. doi:10.1093/ee/nvaa093
- Leach, Heather, L. Spotted Lanternfly Management Resources. 2020. Penn State Extension.
- Spotted Lanternfly. 2022.New York State Integrated Pest Management. Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
- Spotted Lanternfly Dashboard. 2021. iEcoLab at Temple University
- StopSLF.org. 2022. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Specialty Crop Research Initiative
Biology, ecology, and management of spotted lanternfly in US specialty crops.