Got fruit? Want to add some shade with edible crops to your landscaping? This class offers you best practices for recognizing and managing the top 12 disease and insect pests that are found on our most popular home fruit trees. Speaker Kirsten Conrad, Extension Agent for Arlington County and the City of Alexandria, explains how to grow a viable fruit crop without the use of pesticides or fungicides.
Zoom session, recorded May 14, 2021
Video of Presentation
- Alson H. Smith Jr. Agriculture Research and Extension Center https://www.arec.vaes.vt.edu/arec/alson-h-smith.html
- Askew, Shawn D. et al. 2021. Home Grounds and Animals: 2022 Pest Management Guide – Resource Number: 456-018 (ENTO-462P). Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Biorational pesticide ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture Program
- Blaauw, Brett R. and Tzu-Chin Liu. 2021. Plum Curculio on Peaches. Circular 1224. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. https://secure.caes.uga.edu/extension/publications/files/pdf/C%201224_1.PDF
- Codling Moth on Apples. Mid-Atlantic Regional Fruit Loop: The Virginia Fruit Page. Virginia Tech.”From a chapter by L. A. Hull, D. G. Pfeiffer & D. J. Biddinger on apple direct pests, reprinted with permission from Mid-Atlantic Orchard Monitoring Guide, published by NRAES, 152 Riley-Robb Hall, Ithaca, New York 14853-5701.” https://www.virginiafruit.ento.vt.edu/codlingmoth.html
- Dufour, Rex. 2018. Biorationals: Ecological Pest Management Database. ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture Program https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/biorationals/
- Marini, Richard P. and Sherif Sherif. 2020. Growing Apples in Virginia. Resource Number: 422-023 (SPES-233P). Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Marini, Richard P. and Sherif Sherif. 2020. Growing Peaches and Nectarines in Virginia. Resource Number: 422-019 (SPES-232P). Virginia Cooperative Extension. https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/422/422-019/SPES-232.pdf
- Pfeiffer, Douglas G. 2020. Mid-Atlantic Regional Fruit Loop: The Virginia Fruit Page. Virginia Tech.
- Pfeiffer, Douglas G. et al. 2021. 2021 Home Grounds and Animals PMG – Home Fruit. Resource Number: 456-018 (ENTO-397C). Virginia Cooperative Extension.
Go to chapter 3.1 – Includes spray schedules, organic controls, pest profiles, resistant and selected VA varieties, and management tactics.
- Trozzo, Katie E., John F. Munsell and James L. Chamberlain. 2012. Native Fruit and Nut Trees and Shrubs of the Virginia Mountains and Piedmont.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension Resource Pages
- Small Fruit. 2021.Virginia Cooperative Extension. https://ext.vt.edu/agriculture/commercial-horticulture/small-fruit.html
- Spotted Lanternfly Information. 2021. Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Tree Fruit. 2021. Virginia Cooperative Extension.