Insect Pest Management for the Vegetable Garden and How to Succeed Without Losing It All!
Join us for a class on recognizing common injurious insects in your vegetable garden. Learn how to attract and encourage beneficial insects to assist you in fighting off these pests. We cover tips and tricks for limiting and even preventing damage from insect pests on your vegetable crops.
Online class offered by Extension Master Gardeners.
Speaker: Kirsten Conrad, Agriculture Natural Resource Extension Agent, Virginia Cooperative Extension
Zoom session, recorded June 26, 2020
Video of Presentation
Charts in PowerPoint Presentation
Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Home Grounds and Animals: 2022 Pest Management Guide
The latest recommendations for controlling diseases, insects, and weeds for home grounds and animals, as well as information about prevention and non-chemical control as alternatives to chemical control or as part of an integrated pest management approach.
ATTRA – Sustainable Agriculture
Biorationals: Ecological Pest Management Database
What are biorationals? Although there is no universally accepted definition, in the context of this database, “biorational” refers to pesticides in one of the following categories:
- microbial pesticides: formulations of viruses, bacteria, fungi, or nematodes that have low non-target impacts;
- pesticides derived from plants that have low non-target impacts and degrade into non-toxic components; and/or
- various new types of pesticides, such as particle film barriers, pheromones, and compounds such as Spinosad, that have low non-target impacts and degrade into non-toxic components.
Oregon State University & EPA
National Pesticide Information Center
NPIC provides objective, science-based information about pesticides and pesticide-related topics to enable people to make informed decisions.
Photos and Fact Sheets
- Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
Plant Pest Handbook – A Guide
A guide to insects, diseases, and other disorders affecting plants
- Insect Diagnostic Lab at Cornell University
Insect Diagnostic Lab Factsheets
- Purdue University Extension: Entomology
Vegetable Insects and their Management
- UMass Extension and the Center for Agriculture, Food and the Environment
UMass Extension Vegetable Program Fact Sheets
- University of Maryland Extension Extension