Garden Clubs — contact the National Capital Area Federation of Garden Clubs at 202-399-5958 or go to http://www.ncagardenclubs.org, or contact your neighborhood civic association for information
Community Gardens — available for those without access to a yard, these garden plots are available for a nominal rental fee. Be aware that there is often a long waiting list for a community garden plot. In Alexandria, call 703 746-4654 or visit http://alexandriava.gov/CommunityGardens. In Arlington, call 703-228-6426 or visit
Public Gardens — the Washington, DC, area has many wonderful gardens, among them River Farm, Mount Vernon, Green Springs and Meadowlark in Virginia; & the National Arboretum, the Botanical Gardens, Hillwood, and Dumbarton Oaks in D.C.
Garden Centers — check Yellow Pages under Garden Centers and Plants-Retail; Home Depot and Lowe’s for gardening equipment, supplies, and plants; and many fine nurseries, some with several locations, such as Campbell & Ferrara, Hybla Valley Nursery, Behnke Nurseries, Merrifield Garden Center, Greenstreet Gardens, Burke Nursery, Holly, Woods, and Vines, Tree Frog Nursery, Plow & Hearth, Bill’s Garden Center, Eclectic Nature Gift and Garden Center, Cravens Nursery & Pottery, American Plant, American Plant Outlet, and others.
Arborists — go to http://www.goodtreecare.com on the Web for names of certified arborists, or call the Virginia Cooperative Extension for a listing.
Free Mulch – In Alexandria, free mulch is available for pickup at 4215 Eisenhower Avenue. For home delivery ($), call the Recycling Center at 703.746.4410. In Arlington, mulch is available for pickup at N. 26th Street near Glebe Road and Marymount University, and at the Arlington Trade Center on S. Arlington Mill Drive. For home delivery ($), call 703-228-4570 for recorded message or go to http://www.arlingtonva.us, the county’s home page and search for “leaf mulch order form.”
• The Virginia Cooperative Extension http://www.ext.vt.edu website at Virginia Tech for general information; for Arlington & Alexandria specifically, contact http://offices.ext.vt.edu/arlington
• US. National Arboretum http://www.usna.usda.gov
• National Capital Area Federation of Garden Clubs http://www.ncagardenclubs.org/
• American Horticultural Society and Garden (“River Farm”), 7431 E. Boulevard Drive, Alexandria, VA 22308. 703-768-5700. Website: www.ahs.org
• Green Spring Gardens Park at 4603 Green Spring Road, Alexandria, VA 22312; 703-642-5173. Acres of gardens, wonderful horticultural library, educational programs. Website http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/gsgp/ has a list of recommended plants for the DC area.