Join Extension Master Gardeners Tricia Rodgers and Anne Wilson for an overview of home food production from World War I victory gardens to the present. They will introduce you to some of the heirloom crops that contemporary gardeners can grow in their gardens today.
Zoom session, recorded February 20. 2021
Video of Presentation
- 00:00 Introduction
- 3:03 Gardens in War
- 7:52 War Gardens in World War I
- 18:09 Historical Gardening Advice
- 23:28 Historical Seed Selections
- 30:40 Questions
- 36:47 Home Food Productions since World War I
- 52:00 Climate Victory Garden
- 54:16 Gardening during Covid-19 and beyond
- 1:11:02 Questions
- Day, Anastasia. Historian in the Garden. Website.
- Climate Victory Gardens. GreenAmerica. Website.
- Helphand, Kenneth, I. Defiant Gardens: Making Gardens in Wartime. 2006. Trinity University Press.
- Helphand, Kenneth, I. Defiant Gardens: Making Gardens in Wartime. Website.
- Wulf, Andrea. Founding Gardeners: The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation. 2011. Knopf.