Summer is the time to prune trees and shrubs that bloom in the spring and to help perennial flowering plants look their best. Extension Agent Kirsten Conrad walks you through the how, when, and why to prune hedges, multi-stem shrubs, small trees, and large branches. EMG’s-in-training Kathy Eiden and Brandis O’Neal are on hand to debut a short video on specialty pruning. With these best practices, your pruning results will be healthier and fuller growth, better flowers and fruit, and more attractive landscaping.
This free online class was offered by Extension Master Gardeners.
Zoom session, recorded July 23, 2021
Video of Presentation
Due to a technical difficulty, the sound on the intern video did not play during the live presentation. We have edited out that section. After watching the first half, please watch the video on Pruning Lilacs and then continue to the rest of the presentation.
Chapter Breaks – Summer Pruning Part 1
- 0:00:00 Introduction & Overview
- 0:03:34 Proper Plant Selection
- 0:06:42 Reasons for Pruning
- 0:11:27 Tools for Pruning
- 0:13:40 Timing of Pruning
- 0:20:09 Questions
- 0:25:16 Types of Cuts
- 0:28:39 Thinning Cuts
- 0:30:38 Heading Cuts
- 0:34:45 Example with Forsythia
Chapter Breaks – Summer Pruning, Part 2
- 0:00:00 Example of Crepe Myrtle
- 0:01:14 Questions
- 0:12:21 Cicada Damage
- 0:13:50 Hedges
- 0:15:25 Rejuvenating Pruning
- 0:16:48 Perennials
- 0:27:02 Questions
- 0:33:08 Hydrangeas
- 0:40:55 Resources
- 0:42:43 Questions
- Andruczyk, Mike. Hydrangea Selection, Pruning and Care. Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Appleton, Bonnie Lee and Sue C. French. 1998. A guide to successful pruning: Deciduous Tree Pruning Calendar. Publications, Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Appleton, Bonnie Lee and Sue C. French. 2000. A guide to successful pruning: Shrub Pruning Calendar. Publications, Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Jull, Laura. 2012. Pruning Evergreens. UW-Madison Horticulture, UW-Extension.
- LaLiberte, Kath. 2018. The Chelsea Chop: How And Why To Prune Perennials. Longfeld Gardens.