Upcoming MGNV Events
- September 2018 Public Education Events
- Simpson Park Gardens 25th Anniversary Open House – Sept. 30
- October 2018 Public Education Events
- 2018 Arlington/Alexandria Urban Agriculture Symposium – Oct. 5 – Registration OPEN NOW
- Open House – Sunny/Shade Gardens – Oct. 14
- All Public Education Events
- Calendar of Events
Register Online for MGNV public education classes!
Blogs by our Master Gardeners
What’s Happening at Our Demonstration Gardens?
For Master Gardeners
Previous Post Archives
Tag Archives: magnolias
We’ve edged into May, smack in the middle of spring. The delight we gardeners take in the arrival of the season has been tested this year. After the long cold winter, spring finally arrived about mid-April. And then it had second thoughts and retreated, only to turn the heat up to almost 80 for a day or two and then retreat again. Rain has fallen pretty regularly. So while we can’t quite trust the season (what’s new about that? “April is the cruelest month,” said the poet in 1922) and we struggle with its fickleness, still we rejoice. And then we take stock of what winter meant to our particular plots: What died, what lived, how is the seasonal progression going this year? Continue reading