Learn everything you need to know to grow exceptional tomatoes: understand the many varieties, select those that suit your needs, prepare your garden, plant and nurture your plants, and harvest tasty tomatoes of your own this summer.
This free online class was offered by Extension Master Gardeners.
Speakers: Extension Master Gardener Dona Lee & Colleen Kennedy
Zoom session, April 17, 2020
Video of Presentation
- 0:00 Introduction
- 01:34 Overview
- 02:09 History of the Tomato
- 04:57 Tomato Economics
- 05:34 Growing Choices
- 14:32 Planting
- 35:27 Seed Starting
- 56:25 Aftercare
- 1:04:40 Problems
- 1:19:03 Best Practices
- Soil test boxes are available at Greenstreet Garden center at Braddock and King Street.
- See Ready, Set, Adapt! Climate Change – What’s a Gardener to Do? for an excellent discussion of soil testing.
Virginia Cooperative Extension Publications
- Guide to Nutrient Management – 426-613
- Late Blight of Tomato and Potato – ANR-6 (SPES-72P)
- Mulches for the Home Vegetable Garden – 426-326 (HORT-140P)
- Plant Propagation from Seed – 426-001
References sited in the presentation
- Relf et al. Tomatoes – 426-418 (HORT-288P) VCE publication
- LeHoullier, Craig. Epic Tomatoes. Storey Publishing 2015
- Goldman, Amy. The Heirloom Tomato. Bloomsbury Publishing 2008
- Hillock, David et al. Growing Tomatoes in the Home Garden. OSU extension HLA-6012, 2017
- Johnnys Selected Seeds: Common Tomato Pests, Diseases and Physiological Disorders, Monograph, 2018
- Tomatoes. University of Maryland Tomatoes Resource – includes a number of videos.
- Michael, John. How to fertilize tomatoes. Monograph, OFAGS