Meet some of the most common weeds in our area and learn safe and appropriate techniques to control them in your yard.
This free online class was offered by Extension Master Gardeners.
Speaker: Joyce Hylton, Extension Master Gardener
Zoom session, recorded May 22, 2020
Video of Presentation
- 0:00 Introduction
- 01:50 What Is a Weed?
- 02:21 Why Do We Have Weeds?
- 04:22 Grass & Grass-like Perennials
- 08:20 Broadleaf Perennials
- 18:27 Winter Annuals
- 22:27 Summer Annuals
- 29:07 Weed Defense
- 31:49 Management Tools & Technique
- 34:45 Reference Material
- Newcombe, Lawrence. 1977. Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide. Little, Brown and Company.
- Stucky, Jon M. 1981. Identifying Seedlings and Mature Weeds Common in the Southeastern United States. North Carolina Agricultural Research Service.
- Uva, Richard and Joseph C. Neal and Joseph M. DiTomaso. 1997. Weeds of the Northeast. Comstock Publishing Associates.
Available at Arlington Public Library.
Weed ID Sites
- Lawn Weed ID and Management. Home and Garden Information Center. University of Maryland Extension.
- Weed ID Guide. 2018. Division of Plant Sciences. University of Missouri.
- Weed Identification. Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
- Weed Identification & Management. University of Wisconsin – Madison.
Weed ID Apps