What happened to your beautiful spring garden? Summer got you and your garden down? Plants drooping, insect attack, aggressive weeds and is that a fungus? Join Extension Master Gardener Beth Buffington for tips on what you can do right now and what you can plan to do to make sure your summer garden thrives in the future.
This free online class was offered by Extension Master Gardeners.
Zoom session, recorded July 16, 2021
Video of Presentation
- When researching for science-based information add “site:edu OR site:gov”
- For help with Insect or weed management issues consult the:
Pest Management Guide. Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- For all Best Management Practices consult the MGNV Helpdesk email@example.com
- American Pokeweed. USDA, Wildflowers, Plant of the Week.
- Pokeweed. (2020). University of California IPM.
- Pokeweed. University of Maryland Extension.
- Phytolacca americana. North Carolina Extension Plant Toolbox.
- Cahoon, Charlie. Time to start planning for horseweed/marestail. (2018). Virginia Ag Pest and Crop Advisory.
- Horseweed. Cornell Weed Identification.
- Horseweed. Illinois Wildflowers.
- Horseweed. University of California IPM.
- Loux, Mark. Biology and Management of Horseweed. (2006) The Glyphosate, Weeds, and Crops Series, Cornell Extension.
- Ampelopsis brevipedunculata. North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox.
- Gagnon, Jennifer. You Ain’t from Around here! Exotic Invasive of the Quarter: Porcelain-berry (Ampelopsis glandulosa var. brevipedunculata) (2018) Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Porcelain-berry. PennState Extension.
- Crosbie, Jonathan. Everything You Need to Know About Poison Ivy. (2019). Des Moines University.
- Identification of Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac, and Poisonwood. University of Florida Extension.
- Poison Ivy. University of Maryland Extension.
- What You May Not Know About Poison Ivy. (2021) New York Times.
- Fall Webworm. (2017) Penn State Extension.
- Fall Webworm. (2019) UConn Home & Garden Education Center.
- Fall Webworm. (2011) USDA.
- Frank, Steven. Fall Webworm. (2019). North Carolina State Extension.
- Control of Lace Bugs on Ornamental Plants. (2015) University of Georgia Extension.
- Frank, Steven. Lace Bugs. (2019) North Carolina State Extension.
- Gyeltshen, Jamba. Azalea Lace Bug. (2019) University of Florida.
- Hahn, Jeffrey. Lace Bugs. (2019) University of Minnesota Extension.
- Lace Bugs. University of California IPM.
- Hahn, Jeff. Japanese beetles in yards and gardens. (2020) University of Minnesota Extension.
- Japanese Beetles. (2021) Clemson Cooperative Extension.
- Potter, D.A. Japanese Beetles in the Urban Landscape. Entomology at the University of Kentucky.
- Shetlar, David J. Japanese Beetle. Ohio State University Extension.
- Cranshaw, W.S. Slugs. (2022) Colorado State University Extension.
- Naeve, Linda. Slug It Out with Slugs in Your Garden. Iowa State University Extension.
- Snails & Slugs in the Home Garden. (2021) Clemson Cooperative Extension.
- Weisenhorn, Julie. Slugs in home gardens. (2020) University of Minnesota Extension.
- Beckerman, Janna. Powdery Mildew. (2008?) Purdue Extension.
- Moorman, Gary W. Powdery Mildew. (2014) Penn State Extension.
- Newman, S. Powdery Mildews. Colorado State University Extension.
- Powdery Mildew. (2021) Clemson Cooperative Extension.
- Armored Scale Insects & Control. (2021) Clemson Cooperative Extension.
- Mahr, Susan. Scale Insects. University of Wisconsin Extension.
- Scale Insects. University of New Hampshire Extension.
- Soft Scales on Trees and Shrubs. University of Maryland Extension.
Other Plant Fungus/Disease