Resources for Weed Identification and Control
Here are some articles and resources to get you started.
These pages are intended to aid in the identification of common weeds and weed seedlings found throughout Virginia and the Southeastern U.S. Weeds are arranged by common name and it includes a grass ID section with keys.
Weed Identification Guide
- Lawn Moss: Friend or Foe?
- Spring and Summer Lawn Management Considerations for Cool-Season Turfgrasses
- Spring and Summer Lawn Management Considerations for Warm-Season Turfgrasses
- Weeds in the Home Vegetable Garden
Weed Control in Lawns
- Broadleaf Weed Control Chart
- Organic Weed Control Products for Use in Lawns
- Cultural Practices for Weed Suppression in Lawns
MGNV Articles by Extension Master Gardeners
- Garden Myth Busters! Vinegar for Weeds
by Rachel Vecchio
- Invasive Plants in Northern Virginia: Mile-a-Minute Weed
by Elaine Mills
- It’s Spring and Everything’s Blooming … including the Weeds!
by Joyce Hylton
- “Spring Cleaning” in the Garden
by Judy Funderburk
- Weed Control… and Other Jokes?
by Joyce Hylton
Weed Watch Series by Mary Free
- Weed Watch: Lion’s Tooth, Blowball, Pissabed…A Dandelion by Another Name*
- Weed Watch: Was that 4-foot plant (Erechtites hieraciifolius) growing in my garden yesterday?
- Weed Watch: What are those tiny white flowers (Cardamine hirsuta) blooming in my lawn?
- Weed Watch: Will the Real Shamrock Please “Stand Up?”
- Learn how to identify some common winter weeds and how best to remove them.
Glencarlyn Library Community Garden Educational Video
2020 Public Education Class
- Weed ID in the Fall Garden
Speaker: Extension Master Gardener Joyce Hylton
Zoom session, recorded August 27, 2021