NEW in 2022!
To back up and bolster the wealth of original content provided on our Web site, Master Gardeners of Northern Virginia (MGNV) is building a glossary of horticultural and botanical terms supplemented with photographs and diagrams. For background information see The Glossary Project and “Word of the Week.”
Note that on each page: Hyperlinks in green type link to other MGNV glossary words. Click on images for enlargements or captions and attributions. On a mobile phone, click on the information symbol ⓘ.
- androecium [ an-DREE-shee-uhm ]: see stamen, whorl
- annual new in 2022!
- appressed [ uh-PREST ]: see pubescent
- arachnoid [ uh-RAK-noid ]: see pubescent
- axil [ AK-sil ]: see petiole
- axillary [ AK-suh-ler-ee ]: see petiole
- barren new in 2022!
- beard [ beerd ]: see signal
- biennial new in 2022!
- blade [ bleyd ]:see petiole
- bract new in 2022!
- bristly [ BRIS-lee ]: see pubescent
- calyx [ KEY-liks, KAL-iks ]: see whorl
- canescent [ kuh-NES-uhnt ]: see pubescent
- ciliate [ sil-ee-it, -eyt ]: see pubescent
- clasping [ KLAS-ping, KLAH-sping ]: see petiole
- corolla [ kuh-ROL-uh ]: see whorl
- crest [ krest ]: see signal
- crosier, crozier
- crown [ kroun ]: see rosette
- crustose [ KRUHS-tohs ]: see lichen
- cupule [ KYOO-pyool ]: see bract
- cymose [ SAHY-mohs, sahy-MOHS: see cyme, inflorescence
- hesperidium [ hes-puh-RID-ee-uhm ]: see berry
- hirsute [ HUR-soot, hur-SOOT ]: see pubescent
- hispid [ HIS-pid ]: see pubescent
- hoary [ HAWR-ee, HOHR-ee ]: see pubescent
- internode [ IN-ter-nohd ]: see node, petiole, stolon
- involucre [ IN-vuh-loo-ker ]: see bract
- lamina [ LAM-uh-nuh ]: see frond, petiole
- lanate [ LEY-neyt ]: see pubescent
- lemma [ LEM-uh ]: see bract
- marcescent new in 2022!
- megasporangium [ meg-uh-spaw-RAN-jee-uhm, -spoh- ]: see sporangium
- megasporophyll [ meg-uh-SPAWR-uh-fil, -SPOHR- ]: see sporangium
- megastrobilus [ meg-uh-stroh-BAHY-luhs ]: see strobilus
- microsporangium [ mahy-kroh-spaw-RAN-jee-uhm, -spoh- ]: see sporangium, stamen
- microsporophyll [ mahy-kruh-SPAWR-uh-fil, -SPOHR- ]: see sporangium
- microstrobilus [ mahy-kroh-stroh-BAHY-luhs ]: see strobilus
- monoecious [ muh-NEE-shuhs ]: see dioecious
- node new in 2022!
- palea [ PEY-lee-uh ]: see bract
- panicle [ PAN-i-kuhl ]: see raceme
- pedicel new in 2022!
- pepo [ PEE-poh ]: see berry
- perennial new in 2022!
- perfoliate [ per-FOH-lee-it, -eyt ]: see petiole
- perianth [PER-ee-anth ]: see whorl
- perigynium [ puh-RIJ-uh-nee-uhm ]:see bract, sedge
- petal [ PET-l ]: see whorl
Word meanings and phonetic spellings have been informed by Dictionary.com, Encarta World English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and Flora of Virginia, which also was used as a plant species reference. Other sources that may have been consulted for general plant Identification and Information are included in the list of Sources and References for the Tried and True Native Plant Selections for the Mid-Atlantic. This Glossary was created by Mary Free and Christa Watters, Extension Master Gardeners.