We are so excited to finally have the revised MGNV website up and running. We will be going into more details in the coming weeks on new features but we want to share an overview of the changes that we have made.
Thanks to all the Extension Master Gardeners (EMGs)
who have contributed content to the website over the years!
Why did we change?
The existing website was based on outdated software that our WordPress platform no longer supported, and a number of features were failing. Since we knew we had to revise the substructure, we decided to update the design of the website to give it a more modern, open, and spacious look and feel. Those of you who look at the website on a mobile device will love the new look!
We have reorganized parts of the website and created some new content. Here is a peek at some of the new materials:
- Between the Rows – The Between the Rows – A Guide to Vegetable Gardening monthly newsletter has transitioned to an all web-based format. We’ve gathered all the great information that we published in previous years in one convenient spot.
We will be sending out monthly reminders with timely advice for veggie gardeners.
- Beating the Bugs – Learn about common vegetable garden pests in this new section with integrated pest management advice from Extension Agent Kirsten Conrad.
- Illustrated Glossary – All of the Word of the Week information – based on Mary Free and Christa Watters’ posts from 2021 – plus additional material is now in one location.
Learn more in Thursday’s upcoming post on the Illustrated Glossary!
- Invasive Plants & Better Alternatives – This section – based on Elaine Mills’ 2020 Invasive Plant series – has pages with fact sheets for selected invasive species along with lists of native plants recommended as replacements.
- Neighborhood Champions – Learn how our EMGs are having an impact in Arlington and Alexandria communities.
What’s been improved? – Here are some highlights
- Fully revised Demonstration Garden pages with beautiful seasonal slide shows
- Expanded Vegetable & Herb and Weeds sections
- A new Integrated Pest Management (IPM) section – all our pest control advice in one place, including advice on mosquitos and ticks, the Home Grounds and Animals: 2022 Pest Management Guide, and more (find this under the Resources tab)
The following pages have been recreated with a user friendly visual format:
- Master Gardener Bookshelf – a new page that compiles all our book review posts in one place
- Tried & True Native Plant Selections for the Mid-Atlantic
- Virtual Classroom pages – Best Management Practices, Sustainable Landscaping, & Urban Agriculture
Our Social Media Committee has been working on the new website since July of 2021. All committee members shared ideas, helped to choose the look, proofread much of the content, and checked and rechecked hundreds of links. The bulk of the technical work was done by Webmaster Elena Rodriguez, with a lot of support from Mary Free and additional help from Tonda Phalen. All of these Extension Master Gardeners were important contributors to the look, organization, and content of the website. Thanks to the MGNV Board of Directors who supported this effort financially and to our web developer Danna McCormick, of DLM Development.
How can you help?
We hope you like the new look and functionality! As in any big change, there are sometimes glitches. If you see a broken link, missing image, or any other problem, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Suggestions for improvements are welcome too! Thank you!