Join Extension Master Gardener Joyce Hylton as she discusses some of the most common weeds in our area that flourish year round. While a weed may be just a wildflower in the wrong place, learn why they may like your lawn and garden and how you can safely and effectively control them. Joyce Hylton trains and mentors Extension Master Gardeners in Arlington County and the City of Alexandria and teaches sustainable landscaping best practices to the public. For her over two decades of public service, the City of Alexandria bestowed Joyce with the 2020 Ellen Pickering Environmental Excellence Award.
Zoom session, recorded August 27, 2021
Video of Presentation
- 0:00:00 Introduction
- 0:02:43 What Is a Weed?
- 0:08:31 Eliminating Weeds
- 0:23:17 Questions
- 0:24:28 Weed Categories
- 0:26:23 Perennial Grasses
- 0:32:27 Broadleaf Perennials
- 0:46:00 Questions
- 0:49:12 Winter Annuals
- 0:55:14 Summer Annuals
- 1:06:00 Biennials
- 1:08:03 Woody Vines [yes, woody]
- 1:10:06 Weedy Trees [yes, weedy]
- 1:11:10 Next Steps & Resources
- 1:14:18 Questions
- Broadleaf Weed Control
- Organic Weed Control Products for use in Lawns
Weed Sites – 2021
The following list is NOT exhaustive and I’m certain that many of you can add more. However, this list will be a beginning. Enjoy the search!
- Virginia Tech Weed Identification
Best of the lot; helps if you know/guess the name; good photos.
- North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
Excellent site with abundant info and photos.
- University of Missouri Plant Sciences: Weed Id Guide
Great site; weed key is helpful if you have all the info; Many excellent sites within.
- North Carolina State Extension: Weeds
Interesting site for identifying turf weeds but you need all the info.
- University of Maryland Extension: Weed Identification and Management
Very good site.
- Missouriplants.com – edited by members of Missouri Native Plants Society: Photographs and descriptions of the vascular plants of Missouri, USA
Good info if you know name of plant.
- USDA Plants Database
Good but you sometimes need to do a little guesswork as to names.