Visit the Organic Vegetable Garden!
2845 N. Marcey Road
Arlington, VA 22207 United States
(Park in the lot and walk past the Nature Center to the garden.)
One of the best ways to learn about vegetable gardening is to see long established gardens in action. Make time this year to visit the Organic Vegetable Garden in north Arlington at Potomac Overlook Regional Park, one of the eight demonstration gardens operated by MGNV.
Arlington Friends of Urban Agriculture News
Weekly Garden Talks at Central Library
You are invited to weekly Garden Talks on Wednesday evenings at Arlington Central Library.
The Garden Talks are a collaboration between Extension Master Gardeners, Friends of Urban Agriculture and Central Library.
August Garden Talks are at 7:00 – 8:00 p.m., in Library Garden by main parking lot entrance
- August 3 Preserve Your Harvest – Canning, freezing, and other food preservation methods to enjoy your garden riches year-round. Learn the best, safest ways to preserve the flavor and nutrition.
- August 10 Soil Nature’s Way – Build and enrich your soil via garden waste management! Composting, lasagna gardening and other techniques for your best garden ever.
- August 17 Mushrooms – Grow Your Own! – How to grow mushrooms on logs, an easy way to have your own delicious mushrooms for your table.
- August 24 Microgreens for Your Indoor Garden – How and what to grow for easy, nutritious microgreens all winter long.
- August 31 (no Garden Talk)
September Garden Talks will start at 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. and be held in the Quincy Room (1st Floor)
- September 7 Fruits for Your Tastebuds and Landscape – Gain years of delicious enjoyment with fruits that grow well in our area.
- September 14 Extend Your Growing Season – Protect your crops from the chill with hot caps, cold frames, row covers and other techniques. Plus learn winter sowing techniques for an early start growing spring seedlings outdoors in milk jugs.
- September 21 Garden Herbs – Making Teas & Using Herbs – Teas and herbs offer many benefits. Learn what your herb garden can offer for enjoyment and health.
- September 28 Cover Crops for Healthy Soil – There are cover crops for all seasons that protect, nurture and add structure to your soil. What to use, when and how? Cover crops will bring your garden to a whole new level.
Donate Your Extra Vegetables!
We welcome your fresh veggies at our Plot Against Hunger’s Produce Bagging Center. We will deliver it to local food pantries the same day! Each donation, small or large, makes a big difference to our food insecure neighbors.
The Produce Bagging Center located at Rock Spring Church (5010 Little Falls Road) is open:
- August – October
Mondays and Thursdays, 1:00pm – 3:00pm
On Mondays that are Federal holidays, the Center is open on Tuesday: September 6 and October 11.
Want to help at the Center? Volunteer to package the produce and/or deliver to food pantries. Just 2 hours of your time will make a big difference. CLICK HERE to sign up. More on volunteering below.
Special Request! The Bagging Center needs paper grocery bags to transport produce to food pantries. Please bring your used paper grocery bags to the Center or email email@example.com to arrange another day and location to make your donation.
Learn more about Plot Against Hunger: