Visit the Organic Vegetable Garden!
2845 N. Marcey Road
Arlington, VA 22207 United States
(Park in the lot and walk past the Nature Center to the garden.)
One of the best ways to learn about vegetable gardening is to see long established gardens in action. Make time this year to visit the Organic Vegetable Garden in north Arlington at Potomac Overlook Regional Park, one of the eight demonstration gardens operated by MGNV.
Organic Vegetable Garden at Florafest
May 6 @ 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
As part of Florafest at Potomac Overlook Park, Extension Master Gardeners will lead tours of the vegetable garden and be available to discuss all things about vegetable gardening in Northern Virginia. There will also be activities for children focusing on seeds, including planting seeds in pots to take home.
Arlington Friends of Urban Agriculture: Events & More . . .
Produce Packaging Center Reopens May 15
Produce baggers and delivery drivers are need at the Plot Against Hunger Produce Packaging Center at Rock Spring Church (5010 Little Falls Road) to package home grown produce and then deliver to food pantries in Arlington. Sign up for a shift or two by logging in to the FOUA volunteer system. Mondays through July, then Mondays and Thursdays through October. If you’re a home gardener and would like to donate produce from your own garden, please visit us from 1 pm to 3 pm on bagging days!
For the full schedule, visit https://arlingtonurbanag.org/volunteer-login/
2023 Garden Talks
We invite you to weekly Garden Talks at Arlington Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street
Free, no registration required
The talks are sponsored by Friends of Urban Agriculture and Extension Master Gardeners.
May – August Garden Talks will start at 7:00 pm, outside by the parking lot entrance.
- May 3 Herbs for Health & Flavor – Fresh herbs can take your cooking from good to great. There are herbs for all cuisines and growing conditions. Which will you grow? How do you grow them? Where do they fit with your vegetables?
- May 10 Weeds 101 – Keep Them at Bay – Do you know what a weed looks like? You may be surprised. Learn to identify and control those weeds before they control your garden.
- May 17 Garden Structures & Critter Control – Easy-to-build garden structures help you save garden space, grow healthier plants, bring higher yields, and control those pesky varmints.
- May 24 Pollinators & Vegetables Go Together – Use native plants to attract local bees, butterflies and other pollinators that boost your veggies production and enhance your garden.
- May 31 Gardening with Kids – Gardening is fun! Learn simple growing techniques to engage children in a lifetime of growing their food. Observe and plant a salsa garden in a container or bed.